Sunday, June 08, 2008

Panic, Anxiety, and Stupidity

Well, for a smart chick.........remember the ambiguous statement I made a few days ago, about my a situation that was not going so well? Allow me to explain,

My roommate, after moving in, shared that he is on probation for assault and battery, the reason he told me this is because last week he was arraigned on some charges stemming from fraud (trying to cash checks that came from Nigeria, yeah, not too bright). I of course was not pleased with this information, but me being me, always wants to believe the best in people. Then, $20 was missing from my wallet. I was 99% sure that HE took it, but it is one of those things that there is simply this doubt in your mind that it was possible that I spent it and forgot (I am fairly poor at the moment, so I know how much money I have at all time!) But, confronting him seemed like a bad decision. I discussed it with "the boy" and some another friend and the best thing to do was to give him notice of 30 days (our rental agreement was by the month) and just get him out ASAP. I had not done that yet. There is much more to the story, but it is not necessary for me to go into all the details here. Anyway......Friday morning I thought that I would check my wallet to see if he PUT the money back........(I so want to believe in people) there was a $20, $10, and a $5 bill in there, exactly what I thought was in there. So, he hadn't put it back, but at least no additional money was missing! I went to the bathroom and did a few things and came back and sat down and thought, well, maybe I didn't look close enough, maybe he did put it back.......so I opened my wallet again, and the $10 and $5 were now gone. In a matter of an hour, I had not gone anywhere, no one else was in my apartment except him, $15 goes missing from my wallet. Now of course there is NO doubt in my mind that he is taking money from my wallet. I was physically shaking by this point and trying to figure out what to do. He was leaving for work in about 30 minutes........so I waited. I was just going to call the police........"the boy" had a more rational plan, which I followed and included changing the locks on my apartment and leaving him a note. He had still not paid his rent for June, so legally that was my reason for being able to kick him out that day, AND I also knew that his estranged wife would take him back in so he was not going to be on the streets.
I however was a basket case, in full blown panic by Friday afternoon. I ended up going to the student clinic for some xanax and going to "the boys" house to calm down and wait for the Roommate to find the note. He of course denies that he stole from me. But.......he knows that he did.....and I know that he did. I boxed up his stuff and he came on Saturday morning to pick it up and it is now finished. I have course am financially in a pickle, but that is far better than not trusting someone that lives in your space. I could not have that!

How does all of this drama hit me? Holy shit! It is over now, so.......onward!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Holy freaking cow!
You are a roommate shit magnet! ;-)

*shaking head* I have no words.