Thursday, September 11, 2008

I miss this.....

I miss putting down my thoughts here. School of course is overly demanding (in some good ways). I have had a bit of the flu bug today, but there was no time to lay in bed (which is exactly what I wanted to do) I had meetings to attend that could not be missed, so as a true trooper, I just made sure I kept close to the bathroom and marched on!

Tonight I should be doing homework, however I think that I will lay in bed and simply read some of the mounds of articles and chapters in books that I need to read and relax a bit.

I have been successfully been narrowing my research down from Spirituality at the end of life to, what is the "meaning" at the end of life. Which more closely resembles what my goal is. My goal is to affect change in acute care settings for those who are dying. Spirituality seemed to be key, however that leaves so much room for interpretation to Religion and that is not what I am talking about, I am talking about helping dying people find the meaning in their life as they move on to the next life.

I am having some issues with my advisor, namely SHE IS DRIVING ME INSANE! The more I talk to other professors, I realize that some how we are not connecting. I am her first PhD student to mentor and I hate to be a black mark on her record, however I also can't take the risk that I don't get my PhD because she is not the right match for me. I have a class this term that matches you with a mentor for the class. I met with my mentor today and it really hit me as after we talked for 40 minutes I had more direction to my dissertation than I had received all year with my advisor. After a few meetings with this mentor, I will broach the subject with her and see what she has to say about the situation.

That about sums it up folks! Dave remains the love of my life :o) Peace Out!

1 comment:

Ellen said...

I was just having a discussion with a former hospice nurse about her focus - spirituality and health care. For her it equals religion. She said, "if people die without religion, I believe they will have a very difficult death."
Wow, so NOT how I believe. As an atheist, I know my heart. I will take all the lessons I have learned throughout my life, taught to me by people I have loved and admired, and some I haven't been so keen about, to my last day. On that last day, I expect to be comfortable with how I led my life and will wave goodbye with a smile on my face and contentment in my heart.